Custom Field Basics
Interested in optimizing your book form but not sure where to start? Custom fields are a huge part of your conversions, and this lesson will teach you some of our best practices. This session will include the following:
- Exploring different types of custom fields
- Custom field conversion best practices
- Adding custom fields to your items
- Custom field logic
Frequently Asked Questions
After a custom field is created in the Dashboard it does not get automatically added to the items.
To add a custom field to an item:
- Go to the Items section of your Dashboard and select the item you want to add the custom field to
- Go to Availability > Options & Prices
- Choose to add the custom field to the Whole-booking level or under each applicable Customer type
- Click Add custom field
- Select your custom field from the dropdown list
- Click the Add button
Always double check your website to make sure it looks correct!
Custom fields can be added at an individual level or to a whole booking. When added at the whole-booking level, the field will appear only once and will be applied to all customer types on the booking.
If added at the customer level, it will appear for as many customer types are selected. A best practice is to use the customer level custom field if you need an answer for each customer, for example, a shoe size.
If possible, we recommend adding custom fields on the whole booking level whenever possible. Keep custom fields to a minimum so you don’t hinder conversion rates.
To set pricing for a custom field:
- Locate your custom field and click Edit field
- Click the cell in the “Price” column.
- Make sure the Inherit/Change dropdown is set to Change
- Edit the price to what you’d like it to be
- Click Save!
For more information on pricing custom fields, check out this help page.
You have several options when setting up your custom fields. Some include:
- Text input
- Quantity dropdown
- And more!
All your options will be located under Custom Fields on your settings tab. Learn about what each option does on this help page.
You can find this information in the Custom Field Answers report.
The Custom Field Answers report can be used to gather useful information from your customers’ bookings. For example, you could set up a weekly report to track revenue for add-ons (such as retail or transportation fees), or see how many times a specific promo code has been used in the past 30 days.
Locate this report under Reports > Advanced > Custom Field Answers.